Adding Hair Colors
To add a new hair color, follow these steps:
- Create a new ColorForm (under Miscellaneous in the Object Window) for your new hair color.
- Select the color you want by changing the RGB values.
- Make sure Playable is checked.
- Open up the FormList (also under Miscellaneous) called "HairColorList", then go back to the list of ColorForms.
- Drag your new ColorForm onto the HairColorList list to add it to that list. (You can add more than one color at the same time this way--use Shift or Ctrl to select multiple entries.)
- Go to Race (under Character). Open the race you want to have the new hair color.
- Choose the gender you want to add the new hair color to at the top.
- Click on the "Face Data" tab (you may have to scroll the list of tabs right to see it).
- There will be a list of "Available Hair Colors". Right-click on that list and select "New".
- Your new hair color should appear in the list that pops up. Select it and click OK. (You can add more than one color at the same time this way--use Shift or Ctrl to select multiple entries.)
- Repeat the last 5 steps for each other race/gender you want to have the new hair color.
Note that because adding a hair color modifies the Race, it may conflict with other mods that also modify the same Race.
How to Choose a Good Hair Color
- Hair colors appear MUCH brighter (about twice as much) in-game than in the Creation Kit. Generally the RGB values for hair color should be between 0 and 127.
- Natural hair colors fall into a fairly narrow range of hues. Here's a suggestion of steps for how to create one:
- Choose R between 0 and 127 depending on how bright you want your hair to be.
- Choose B to be smaller than R, depending on how strong you want your hair color to be. If B is almost as large as R, your hair will have a faded color--nearly white, grey, or black. If B is half as large as R, your hair will have a very strong color.
- Choose G to be between R and B. If G is high (closer to R), then you will have a more blond hair color. If G is low (closer to B), you will have a more red hair color. (Brown is simply a dark red or orange.)